Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fun and Fitness: “Brilliant. Roddy Doyle is on deck”

Yesterday I played hockey. I’ll write “5 miles” in my log.

Tonight I’ll ride for 25 - 35 miles on my exercise bike. For the most part, I’ll ride with a book in hand, so that fun and fitness come together and I don’t give up on the whole shootin’ match.

(Definition: shootin’ match, noun - the desire to stay fit until I’m 87. After that I’ll let myself go... a bit.)

Ian Frazier’s book is a bit of fun. I paid $5.99 at Chapters, but last time there I saw a few copies on the $2 table.


Tar Sands Showdown is definitely more serious and informs the reader about Canada’s energy policy, i.e., supply the US come Hell or high water.


This book about birds is a quick read. It’s not a picture book (re identifying one bird from another). More of a ‘all you wanted to know’ for two bucks. I’m getting my money’s worth.


I’ll have to ride many a mile to get to the bottom of the book pile (the pile in the closet is deeper), but that’s the point. When one book is done there is another waiting in the on deck circle.


Ian Frazier out. Roddy Doyle in.


I can hardly wait.

***

Please click here for more Fun and Fitness.

No, I haven’t forgotten about the ‘Funeral’ sign.

.

No comments: