Monday, August 8, 2011

The Workshop: One step forward, one step sideways

I get distracted easily. And I know that. Yesterday, while tackling the job of moving leftover (reno) rock from a future outdoor reading, writing and snoozing alcove, I made the mistake of looking closely at the first of a few rock slabs.


[I asked myself, “Could these pieces be useful?”]

They do look nice, I thought. Better than nice when wet.


So, I poured a bit of ice water onto one slab. Then I wondered if linseed oil, with a titch of maple stain, would create an interesting effect. I rubbed a bit (a titch, really) onto a 6 by 6 inch piece.


[“Yes, in my opinion, an interesting effect,” I say.]

I liked the result. Then I wondered how long it would take to make a cedar frame for each of three pieces of rock. I didn’t know, so I pushed the saw out of the workshop and cut a few strips of wood and fashioned a frame.


Then, instead of returning to the job of sorting and cleaning up hundreds of pounds of stone, I looked for a place to hang my first framed piece of reno rock.

Personally, I think the side of my outdoor cupboard is a perfect place.


[“Maybe I should get back to the task at hand!”: photos GH]

And one day soon, I’ll build the cupboard doors, and clean up the stone, and get the reading/writing table finished for my outdoor space.

Maybe. I get distracted easily.

***

Please click here for an earlier piece from The Workshop.

.

No comments: