Monday, December 12, 2011

It Strikes Me Funny: PT 3 A squirrel-proof feeder? We’ll see

[“ Before I could say ‘what the heck,’ the squirrel bounced off the drift, sprang toward a support pole (used to keep the feeder seven feet above the deck), catapulted from it toward the feeder.” Dec. 11, G. Harrison]

Last winter I fed birds in my yard on a very regular basis. Darn squirrels made out like bandits on many occasions as well, after one of them figured out a way to do the triple-jump.

This year’s attempt at a squirrel-proof feeder may be my best yet. In the last two days I’ve seen squirrels at its base but nowhere else. Still, I fear an assault at any minute.


["Will this tall model keep the squirrels away? We'll see."]

Three will race across the deck and, with a well co-ordinated leap, hit the support pole at its mid-point and get the stand swinging back and forth. Then another, in charge of ropes and pulleys, will add his weight just as the stand is nearing its tipping point. Two will jump out of an eaves trough, two more will spill out of a tree and my squirrel-proof feeder - so I thought! - will come crashing to the ground.

If the stand doesn’t tip - by hook or by crook - one clever squirrel will find a way to climb past the metal lamp shade.

I can see it now. A squirrel will shinny as high as it can, grasp the pole with its hind legs - muscular little beggar - lean backwards and grab, desperately, the metal rim with one tiny paw. At least I hope it’s ‘desperately,’ and fear of falling will cause its eyes to glaze, its narrow brow to sweat. Flop sweat. The worst kind.


["Both black and gray squirrels are stymied... for now"]


Surely, however, with months of training on lesser stands, once the critter has a good hold of the rim it will find a way to scramble over. But will it then be stuck, with nowhere to turn?

I can only hope.

Will Gord’s latest feeder save his precious seed for the birds only? Will several families of squirrels pack their bags late one night - soon - and slink away into the darkness, never to return?

Stay tuned.

[Photos by G. Harrison]

***

Please click here to read PT2 A squirrel-proof feeder? We’ll see

.

No comments: