Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Workshop: Cedar feeder and its lifespan


Some readers will know I use new and rescued lumber to make birdhouses and feeders and that I’m particularly fond of cedar.

One 8-foot long board is all that is required to build a 14-inch tall, 18-inch long feeder, as per photos, and even boards from Home Depot don’t break the bank if rescued boards don’t suit the design.


So I know the cost and what lumber I like to use, but what I don’t know is how long such a feeder will last. I suppose in another 30 years I’ll have part of the answer, but that’s a long-time to wait.

Do you know how long a cedar bird-feeder (5/8th-inch, unfinished) will last? And if I coat it with linseed oil, will that add 10 years to its life?


["I shouldn't cut cedar. I should frame it as art!"]

I bet I’ll know more when I’m 100, but help me now if you can.

[Photos by G.Harrison]

***

Please click here for another trip to The Workshop.

.

No comments: