Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Squirrel-proof Feeder PT6


That was then. This is now, Day 9

Thirteen months ago, on Nov. 18, 2010, on a wet, dreary day much like today, I set up two sturdy bird feeders on the clotheslines that cross my back deck.

Thirty seconds after the fact, a stealthy band of rabid squirrels (well, they looked rabid to me) raided the fresh seed that was meant for birds hiding in my spruce trees. I growled, gnashed my teeth and fell to the floor after watching one squirrel give me the thumb's up whilst hopping across the clothesline on one foot, sans balance bar or frilly umbrella (like in the cartoons).

"Easy ka-peasy," it seemed to be saying.


["At least I had a great view from my window"]

That was then. This is now.

On Dec. 13, 2011 I paraded onto my back deck - confidently; I hummed a marching song - with my latest feeder. It sported a wide metal collar, i.e., an $80 exterior lamp shade, the most expensive squirrel-guard in Canadian history.


Am I proud? Of course I’m proud. Am I expecting trouble? Of course I’m expecting trouble. Though squirrel-free (as far as I can tell after making an untold number of visits to my back window every day) for 8 full days, I know that somewhere on a nearby fence rail, or amongst the spruce branches in my yard, huddles a band of malicious thugs with paper, pencil, measuring tapes and expensive grappling in hand.


Thirteen months ago they quickly triumphed.

But that was then.

[Photos by G.Harrison]

***

Will Gord succeed where few have gone before? Will Gord one day take his rightful place in the hall of mighty minds?

If you can stand the suspense, stay tuned.

Please click here ("It's easy ka-peasy") to read A Squirrel-proof Feeder PT 5.

.

No comments: