Friday, February 10, 2012

Motorcycle Miles: PT 4 “Vancouver Island or Bust” (or VIB)

[Details regarding a June or July trip (likely July) are slowly coming together. I’m learning there are many things to consider, including the usual, i.e., route, accommodation, money, how many pairs of jeans to pack, more money, etc. Feb. 9, Motorcycle Miles: PT 3 “VIB”]

Sometime in July I’ll wake up early in the morning (oh, about 7:30 a.m.; earlier if I hear a rooster crow), stretch and rub the sleep from my eyes, slowly figure out why I’m in bed alone (“Where’s my wife? Where’d that cheap painting come from? Where’s my coffee? What the... oh”), that I’m in a motel in Massey, north and west of Espanola, and about to start Day 2: VIB.


[I'll be "absolutely delighted that I am not in a tent"]

I’ll roll out of bed, stretch once or twice and be absolutely delighted that I am not shivering in a tent, like the last time I was in Massey, in 2007. And 40 minutes later - showered, clothed, fed - I’ll be riding west on my way to Wawa, my next destination.


For certain I’ll also be looking forward to catching my first possible glimpse of Lake Superior, from the top of a hill north of S.S. Marie. With a relatively easy 440 km. to travel and the knowledge that I only need to make one pit stop for gas (at Pancake Bay) along the way, I’ll be whistling a happy tune, accompanied by the hum of a bike engine and two tires.


If I notice any new metal sculptures beside the highway in Massey I’ll stop for photos. Adding an extra five minutes to my 5,000 km. journey won’t bother me in the least.

[Photos from 2007, by GH]

***

Please click here for Motorcycle Miles: PT 3 “VIB”

.

No comments: