Sunday, February 5, 2012

Motorcycle Miles: “Vancouver Island or bust”

I’ve saved the money. I own the right motorcycle. I have a sturdy pair of jeans, a leather coat and four rugged bags for gear. My wife says, “Go.”

In July I’ll ride to British Columbia, to visit the naval base at which my dad served in 1944 - 45, and to visit a naval museum in which some mementos from his ship are found.


The road to Thunder Bay will be familiar and exhilarating at the same time as I make my way west, one step or mile at a time.


Will the sunsets at Hattie Cove again fill me with wonder? I bet they will, as will the vast prairies, the Rocky Mountains, several wicked mountain passes, and the hammock with my dad’s name on it in a navy museum in Esquimalt, B.C.

Thousands of photos to follow. Set aside a few minutes to view them around the first of August.

[Above photos - beach at Pancake Bay, sunset at Hattie Cove on Lake Superior: by GH, 2007]

***

Please click here for more Motorcycle Miles.

.

No comments: