Monday, March 12, 2012

Live Small: Living inside a small circle


As long as I have access to parks, pathways, a good computer, coffee shop and hardware store, I think I can get used to living inside a small circle.

I thought of the phrase ‘a small circle’ the other day as I prepared to take my compost out to my new compost bin. The bin is homemade, as is the almost matching garbage can bin, and they both reside inside the small circle of my back and side yard. And beside my garbage bin is my writing alcove, decorated to the nines with homemade artwork.






When the weather warms I’ll spend several hours per week inside that small circle. I’ll take out a compost deposit, circle back to the garbage bin with another deposit, then sit down in my alcove and do a bit of writing, i.e., after admiring the artwork made from leftover materials.

Coffee, when needed, will be close at hand. As will be most of my earthly needs. All inside ‘a small circle.’

I don’t mind if, as I age, more and more daily activities occur inside a small or even shrinking circle. (They may have to anyway, as energy prices rise). The convenience and routine is enjoyable, and as long as I have access to the larger world, whether for a bag of nails, exercise walk through the city, or occasional long trip (e.g., a train ride to the west coast, as is happening in April) I’ll be a happy camper.

Can you see yourself living inside a small or smaller circle? Have you chosen to do so in the last few years?
What are, or might be, the advantages?

[Photos by G.Harrison]

***

Please click here for more Live Small.

.

No comments: