Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Walking 3: Discovering London in one pair of pants

I Do Hills.

The three words would make apt personalized license plates for my car. How much would it cost for a pair? Probably more than I’d want to spend. Forget it.

When training for marathons between 1995 and 2005, I incorporated hill workouts into my weekly schedule. For the first couple of years I hated running ‘hill repeats’. Up and down. Up and down. Up and down. Forget it, I’d say.

But I eventually learned to like them. I didn’t say love them. Like them. Hills build strength. One needs strength to endure hilly courses, like the 30 K Around the Bay Roadrace in Hamilton. On that course, the last hill’s a doozy.


The habit of doing hill repeats returned the other day during my walk, then again today. I got to the bottom of the brick walkway on the west side of Thames Park, turned around, and went back up. At the top I turned around and went back down, then continued my walk.


Same thing happened at the top of the hill that exits the east side of Harris Park near Eldon House. Let’s do it again, I said. And I did.

In about 3 - 4 weeks, I bet I’ll notice a positive change in my speed and endurance during my Wednesday hockey game. And if anybody asks how I keep so fit and good looking, I’ll just say I do hills.

: )

Photos by G. Harrison

***

Please click here to read Walking 2

.

No comments: