Monday, July 7, 2014

East Coast Photo Files

Trip Day 7 - June 15, 2014

["Lovely PEI mural in progress in Cambridge Hall"]

Easy Sunday, Prince Edward Island

Brother-in-law Jim did all the driving on Sunday, from Murray Harbour to Gaspereaux, Montague, Dingwells Mills, Rollo Bay, Souris and East Point (the farthest point east on PEI), and back home just in time to sit down to a lobster supper with a hall full of locals dressed in full bib and tucker. I was the only guest from London, Ontario, wanted to represent the city faithfully so didn't go far past seconds on everything spread out on broad tables - lobster, thickly-buttered buns, potato salad and slabs of cherry cheesecake sweet enough to put most ordinary men to bed by eight.

["Erosion on East Point is constant but views are spectacular"]

During the ride I took many photos, all in drizzly, windy, cool and wet conditions. But still, I got a taste of PEI even before sitting down for supper. I'd go back in a minute and if the price of gas isn't through the roof in a few years maybe I'll go by bike again - during a warmer, drier month than June.

Photos from along the way:

 ["East Point lighthouse built with mighty, century-old timbers"]

["Mighty timbers, from black spruce, are as sturdy as one can find"]



["Red rock in a fine church beside our lobster supper hall"]

["After supper folks moved slowly back to their vehicles"]

["In Souris I spotted a ferry bound for Cap-aux-Meules, Magdalen Islands"]

The next day I boarded a ferry bound for Pictou, Nova Scotia and roads leading south to Halifax. I was told I looked five pounds heavier than the day I arrived on PEI.


Photos by GH

No comments: