Thursday, March 13, 2008

Lassie Stories: Moved by an unexpected tale

There I was, just goofin' around, having fun at Lassie and Timmy's expense, saying True Canadians have good Lassie stories and, unexpectedly, reminded two fellow bloggers of their own special companions.

And they created two very enjoyable posts.

The first is at Four Mugs and a Crock.

The second, a comment to the first from my youngest sister (Hazel Nut), follows:

"What a beautiful dog!

It was heartwarming to hear about your relationship with your dog as I too had a close friendship with my dog growing up. They truly are man's (and woman's) best friend.

We had Boots from the time I was 4 until I was 18.

The day Boots was hit by a car when on her way to her daily visit with my gramma my dad phoned our highschool and left a message that I was to stop by his place of work on my way home from school.

Unsuspecting I did so. He walked home with me and explained what happened.


He had already buried Boots in our backyard. I spent the next several nights sleeping outside by her grave overcome with grief.

I still miss her over 30 years later. She was a great dog who thought she was a human."

Thank you for the two great stories.

Hazel: In my mind's eye I can still see Boots chasing squirrels while I delivered morning papers in Norwich. He never caught one as far as I know but always got top marks for enthusiasm.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I can still see her licking her empty food bowl over and over again until someone took pity on her.
Mom thought Boots had quite the dramatic flair acting as if she were starving to death.