Sunday, March 2, 2008

Me? Less beefy? What the profile will never tell you

One of my resolutions for 2007 was to lose 7 pounds in order to fit into the suit pants I purchased a few years earlier while I was an active long distance runner.

I reached my goal in time to wear the suit for Christmas dinner and though I hit a treadmill and recumbent bike 3 - 4 times per week I know I’m just barely keeping even, if that. (I don’t own a scale, never will, the suit pants will be my guide for several more years, but last time I checked they felt a bit snug again. Stink.)

Another runner patted his stomach this morning at the Red Roaster coffee shop and said, “I’m running more miles now, about 60 this week, but I can’t get rid of this roll.”

“Yeah, same problem here,” I said, patting my own stomach sympathetically.


[GH - third from the right, but add a few pounds]

At a certain age, especially in this country, it gets tough to stay totally fit even with regular exercise because we are surrounded by millions of bad food choices.

You don’t need to know my age and height etc., but it’s fair to say I’m concerned about making a lighter footprint, as well as smaller, and it’s books like The Omnivore’s Dilemma that keep me on the straight and narrow.

Well, narrowish.

No comments: