Thursday, March 6, 2008

Like all-natural fertilizers (e.g. dead fish) blogging helps the environment

My wife stuck her head into the study and asked, “Want to go on a little outing?”

“What are you thinking?” I asked.

“Maybe a quick trip to White Oaks? I want to pick up some incredibly important stuff.”

She might have said Masonville, Hyde Park, Argyle Mall. I can’t recall. They’re all the same to me.

She might have said pick up some clothes, tissues, shoes, plasma. I can’t remember that either. They all belong under the same heading: Stuff I don’t need right now.

“No thanks,” I said. “I’ll stay and finish this post.”

I could have listed several other reasons had she asked.

E.g. I don’t like shopping. I don’t like spending money. I don’t like driving our car to a mall. I don’t like combining those activities in any way.


[G. Harrison: Wal-Mart free for 8 years and proud of it]

After she left it dawned on me that by being such a cheap old toot and staying home I may be helping the environment by driving less, cutting consumption and carbon emissions.

How will I find out, for example, if air quality is improving?

No need to even leave the house. I’ll just stick my head out the window.

No comments: