Sunday, March 30, 2008

Live Small and Prosper: re Houses, how small is big enough?

What would it take to get me out of my 1,050 sq. ft. house (not incl. almost equal-sized basement, 100 sq. ft porch and 360 sq. ft. deck) and into something smaller?

Would someone have to twist my arm, bribe me with cash, put chocolates on my pillow or throw in a big-screen TV?

No, on all counts (though I wouldn’t turn down a large bag of chocolates kisses), because as far as I’m concerned, the smaller the house the fewer expenses, household jobs and renos I’d have to face for the rest of my environmentally-friendlier life.

But how small can I go and still feel it’s big enough for my very important collection of stuff?

While reading Heat by George Monbiot I came across a sentence [see A Quote That Clicked; side panel] that inspired me to draw a few more experimental floor plans for small homes inside the back cover. My favourite is of a 900 sq. ft. model (heated with a geothermal unit) with half the basement space and 750 sq. ft. of porch and deck space.


And, lo and behold, after only a few conversations my wife is showing a bit of interest too. Usually I have to talk about one of my ideas non-stop for a year or more before I wear her down.

But can we live comfortably with a 34 per cent reduction of indoor living space?

I’m not sure but I think I know how I can find out.

Stay tuned.

[In the meantime, please amuse yourself with a post about a $1,350 corn flake and an even more expensive bowl of cow-country oatmeal.]

2 comments:

the crock said...

whenever you are ready to see 338sq feet of bliss... you let me know.

living small is not that hard... and it makes you realize how little you actually need.

first lesson learned: microwaves are over rated. yep, i do not have one and have been able to manage just fine for 8 months now!

cheers.

G. Harrison said...

i'll bring my camera if that's okay, crock.

i think my back deck is 360 sq. ft. so I have some idea re the size of your apartment but i'm intrigued, for sure.

let's meet for coffee first, i want to hear about around the bay.

gord