Friday, August 8, 2008

Live Small and Prosper: The 5th anniversary of “The Blackout” is 6 days away

Part 3

The historic blackout that hit Ontario and much of northeastern U.S. on August 14, 2003, causing millions to feel the unpleasant effects of one big problem leading to many others, brought my neighbourhood closer together.

On the one hand, Giovanna Leonardo, who was waiting in line with 200 people for a Staten Island bus, said, "I'm scared. It's that unknown ‘What's going on?’ feeling. Everyone's panicking. The city's shutting down.” (CBC News Online)


[Photo - Toronto skyline: CBC News Online]

On the other, closer to home, Margie, a neighbour in London, Ontario spotted a group of men (including me) sipping beers on a nearby porch while listening for news on a crank radio and asked, “When will the hydro return?”

We wondered the same thing and also debated the following:

Should we have another beer before supper?

Because my neighbour’s supply was gone I offered to play host on my front porch after a make-shift meal.

After quick good-byes I walked home to look for candles.

Stay tuned for Part 4.

[Please read Part 2 for context]

.

No comments: