Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Live Small and Prosper: The 5th anniversary of The Blackout is 2 days away

Part 5

At 7 p.m., three hours after The Blackout on August 14, 2003 my wife and I tidied our front porch and welcomed the return of a few neighbours.

Soon a small group huddled around a crank radio and wondered what had caused The Blackout, if some folks would have to work the next day, how to deal with future meals and frozen food - among other things.

While we enjoyed a breeze in London, Ontario James Thompson, who works in Manhattan, said:

"People that would normally be inside are outside because they are baking in their buildings.”


When Robert MacKenzie, supervisor of communications for Toronto, was asked where Mayor Mel Lastman was he replied:

“I have no idea.” [CBC News Online]

However, when I asked who wanted a Guinness before it got warm I received positive replies.

One came from a disembodied voice several feet away.

“I do,” said a neighbour sitting alone in the dark on his nearby porch and in return for Guinness he brought bad news and good whisky.

Tomorrow - Part 6.

[Click here for Part 4]

.

No comments: