Friday, August 22, 2008

Live Small and Prosper: London’s nanny state garnering praise from Ottawa

At the same time as local councillor Paul Van Meerbergen is huffing and puffing that restricting the sales of plastic bottled water (even in a very small way) is “one more brick in the creation of a nanny state” there are reports that other cities and institutions may follow London’s lead.

It just hit me.


“London’s lead. Other cities may follow London’s lead.”

I’ve never used those words together before in a sentence.

And we could be hearing them again soon - even on CBC Radio Canada nonetheless.

This, from CBC.ca online:

“A recent ban on bottled-water sales at municipal premises in London, Ont., is a good idea and one that Ottawa should reconsider,” two city councillors say.

"I'm happy as a clam that they've gone ahead and made such a sensible decision," Capital ward Coun. Clive Doucet said. "But I'm sad that we can't be ahead of the pack."


Hey, you snooze you lose, Clive!

“Happy as a clam. I’m as happy as a clam.”

When’s the last time you heard that?

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gord. As an environmentalist who included a PlasTax as part of my municipal election campaign and thus woke other people up to the issue, I'm hopeful that we'll soon see movement on that front, and things like fast-food takeout cups. So from the enviro perspective, I think there's reason for us to feel good about London. OTOH, as the city's most publicly outspoken pedestrian rights/safety activist, I pretty damned ashamed of our city. I can only hope that I'll have the stamina to keep on plugging away until other people finally wake up to this issue also.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Greg,

One small step deserves many, many others and perhaps we'll both live long enough to see baby steps turn into giant strides in many areas.

Single occupant cars and diesel-fueled buses seem to rule the day and are accommodated in too many ways. Our city and residents suffer as a result.

Keep up the good fight as pedestrian rights and safety (and more) activist.

Gord H.