Tuesday, August 5, 2008

It Strikes Me Funny: How would you like unlimited miles per gallon?

What would you say if I put a gallon of gas in your car and you went as far as you wanted - for years?

You’d say, amazing deal, right?

And what would you say if, after years of driving, I came back for my gallon of gas and it was still in the can I stashed in the trunk?

Impossible, you’d say.

Mais, non, bon ami.

It is possible - and you don’t have to drive Fred Flintstone’s car.

But you would have to drive an electric or alternatively fueled car.


I posted the above photo yesterday, asked “what is it” and mojo commented:

“I think it's called an EZ-Go. Last time I saw something like that was at a golf course.” [original post]

Well, if we can ride it around a golf course we should be allowed to drive it around a city.

Then it would be no more EZ-Come EZ-Go with our gas money.

Would you drive one?

.

3 comments:

Mojo said...

Even electrics come at a cost in energy consumption and environmental impact. You gotta charge those batteries some way. No matter how we get around, there's going to be a cost. We'll never eliminate it (we've gone too far for that), but we can reduce it.

G. Harrison said...

hi mojo,

thanks for your informed response.

i agree, there is no free lunch. [Barry Commoner, US environmentalist]

just smaller bites out of the environment with tiny, low or zero emission vehicles.

even bicycles have to be produced at a cost [CO2 emissions, degradation to land, air, water etc.] but in many cases those small costs can be recouped over time.

i'm in a perfect neighbourhood and city for a bike but my Miele isn't built like a work horse, so, once the reno is done, i'll pick up a used Raleigh.

and the EZ-Go is definitely an option once the Civic has outlived it's usefulness.

cheers,

gord h.

Mojo said...

Between this post and an article I read earlier today, I put a few thoughts on the subject out for consideration. I started to post it here but the comment was getting post-sized.