Thursday, August 28, 2008

Live Small and Prosper: Small homes are out there -and I like ‘em

Like The Small House Society I think the following:

There is “an ecological, economic and psychological toll that excessive housing takes on our lives.”

That’s why governments need to be, like the Society, “dedicated to the promotion of smaller housing alternatives which can be more affordable and ecological.”

People who live small already are happy to promote the fact.

This, from apple jack creek (Alberta):


“I originally built the Banff layout (768 main floor with half upper story as a loft, the rest open) for my son and myself to live in. It's on a crawl space, so we have storage down stairs.”

“Living in the small space was reasonably workable for two of us, and with a few more interior walls, or a full second storey, this could've worked well for four.”


[The Agawa model at cabins.ca]


“Regardless, there are a number of really nice small square footage designs on the cabins.ca site which I thought your readers might be interested in.”


So, in some jurisdictions small homes are possible and enjoyed.

Will governments soon not only allow small homes but encourage and promote them more visibly?

I hope so.

Because I really liked the Agawa model and can already see myself in Port Burwell, sliding down a bronze fire pole to my motorcycle below.

Wait. Do governments allow bronze poles?

.

2 comments:

Mojo said...

Sliding down a bronze pole... I knew a girl once who... oh, wrong kind of pole huh?

I hadn't considered the tres chic approach to building small. It seems to be trendy to be green these days, which is both good and bad. Good because it gets the job done -- even if the means is a bit tawdry. Bad because the very definition of "trendy" implies "transient". The problem isn't transient, the solution can't be either.

Adding value through amenities to the small house could work though. If builders include enough gee-whiz bells and whistles, they might still be able to appeal to the "keep ahead of the Jones's" set, even with less square footage.

carmilevy said...

The "live simple" ethos has been filtering back to me virtually every day this week. I've been researching an article that I'm writing freelance, and virtually everyone I speak to refers to the need to strip away the unnecessary and focus only on the most basic, elemental components.

It's an IT-related article, but it may as well be talking about life.

I'm gonna go look at some cabin designs, too. What a cool way to live once I no longer have to spend my days shuttling little folks around.