Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Growing family traditions keep the Christmas spirit alive

The morning paper was late, the snow plow left three feet of snow in our driveway and I had to put morning coffee on hold until my wife and I shoveled a tunnel from the street to our front door for grandson Ollie’s arrival.

Were our spirits dampened? No.

Were our clothes? Yes.

Right down to our socks, but a shower and dry clothes fixed us up minutes before Ollie’s smile filled our house.


The opening lines of a local writer’s column (a brilliant, good-looking and humble guy as far as I can tell) seemed to fit my day and mood:

"As I grow a bit older, or as I prefer to say, approach the middle of a long and adventurous middle age, I remain confident the Christmas season will never lose its allure for the Harrison family because of a mix of traditions, both old and new.

"For example, later on this evening, you might spot me among a few folks - bundled up warm against the weather - enjoying our traditional Christmas Eve walk around old South, admiring lights on the houses, bright trees in front windows and listening for the sound of carols in the wind.

"Though to the untrained eye it might look like I’m spying on our neighbours, it’s not that at all.

(Okay, I admit I look in windows to see if any trees are bigger than mine but the spying stops there).

"After a healthy walk it’s back home for eggnog and an early bedtime."


Please link to the exciting conclusion - unless you're still shovelling!.

And Merry Christmas to all. Keep your traditions alive.

.

No comments: