Tuesday, December 30, 2008

It Strikes Me Funny: Favourite quotes from 2008 Part 2

Even though I said a lot of amazing things in 2008, and will likely receive a Pulitzer Prize for writing about ‘No Clothing Day’ (with my clothes on; thus the prize) my second-favourite quote of the year comes from Renee L., a young Gen Y consumer, with a shopping habit that consumed 10 hours of her week and 50 per cent of her pay cheques at times.

In an email she wrote:

“I started wondering what my motivation was for these purchases..... Did I really need 9 pink sweaters and 12 variations of black pointy-toed stilettos?”

“I started feeling more like a chump than a stylish chick.”

But she’s one chump who changed.

My favourite quote of 2008 was made by Barry Commoner, US biologist and environmentalist:


“Sooner or later, wittingly or unwittingly, we must pay for every intrusion on the natural environment.”

His words make me continually wonder, how high will be the user-fee when Mother Nature comes to collect?

***

Do you have a favourite quote or lesson-learned from 2008?

.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's good: "sooner or later we must pay." I remember my phys-ed teacher always said, "It's like the Fram filter man: if he doesn't get you now he'll get you later." He was talking about fitness but the principle is the same: Nature enjoys nothing more than steamrolling accross human hubris.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Brian,

It Strikes me funny that, though most people know we need to take care of our health and natural surroundings, we let things slide.

J. Kunstler says in The Long Emergency (an excellent read) we are sleepwalking into the future.

Perhaps we've grown too used to a 'live for today' philosophy.

GAH

Mystic Thistle said...

I saw it on a bumper sticker on our trip home: "Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes."