Friday, July 24, 2009

Climate change and the decline of the once mighty cheeseburger

It’s July 24, summer still hasn’t arrived in Deforest City or the rest of Ontario, so allow me to be the first to say that climate change - if it is like a 5-speed motorcycle - is now in second gear.

We all know average global temperatures have been on the rise for the last 50 years or so, but now it seems like our typical seasons have been thrown right out the window.

Our eating patterns are next.

For example: Farmers are worried about the three main crops in our region - i.e. corn, soybeans and winter wheat.

And since the first two crops feed our cattle industry to a large extend - perhaps soon to be smaller - and the last becomes flour for bread and buns, I predict we’ll see rising prices in related food costs in the months ahead.


[Cloudy skies over Pigram Rd., east of London, last Sunday: photo GAH]

I wouldn’t be surprised to see an increase in the price of the cheeseburger or Homer Burger at the New Sarum Diner soon, which means I’ll have to trim it out of my diet even more than I have already.

I think our excessive ways at present will lead to many other reductions in the future too.

***

The clouds overhead remind me of a smoking gun.

You?

.

No comments: