Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The porch will smell of peace and family pride

My Dad once said of his younger brother, “He can do anything he sets his mind to.”

Though Dad and I disagreed about many things, I didn’t about his assessment of my Uncle Richard, who still lives in Norwich, my hometown.

For example, when Dad told me to get a haircut, or a job, or my own car or fridge or apartment, I think I said something that loosely translated meant ‘in my own sweet time, man.’

But when I saw one of Richard’s oak and dogwood chairs a few years ago I bought one without hesitation.


[He set his mind and collected dogwood, and built his own steamer in which to heat the wood and wooden jigs to bend them appropriately - without a plan or diagram to go by.]


["A slab of mulberry and small pieces of cedar": GAH photos]

The chair now sits comfortably on the wee front porch, between my own chairs, and once I frame a slab of mulberry as wall art, with slices of aromatic cedar as an extra touch, the porch will become an even more enjoyable spot to relax.

***

Do you have a favourite chair? Any family history attached?

.

No comments: