Monday, July 20, 2009

How do subdivisions like Quail Run get their names?

While motorcycling yesterday I passed through the lovely village of Dorchester and between two suburbs with very interesting names.

By interesting I mean, with names that reminded me of beautiful natural settings that no longer exist because large single-family homes have been dumped right on top of them.

Take Quail Run, for example. It’s presumably located on top of a place where lovely little quails used to run.

And why did the quails run?

In order to get away from their natural enemies, like foxes and people with guns and shovels and survey equipment - and later, bulldozers.


["Tomorrow I'll show you a pristine natural setting located at The Turtle Pond and Lily Pad Estates": photo by GAH]

Across the street was River View Estates.

Guess what that ‘burb has to offer?

You got it.

Over-sized homes on land that once promised a view of the river to anyone who took the time to get out of their car, hop a fence and tramp through a field of rye with their loved ones.

As I continued on my way I thought, we’re losing our natural settings too quickly.

***

Is a large home on fine arable land an unalienable right or a tired cookie-cutter plan used by unimaginative developers?

.

No comments: