Monday, August 16, 2010

Birdhouse Spotting: On the way to Port Bruce

On Sunday morning I looked up from my first cup of high-octane coffee and said to my wife, “I’d better get to the computer. My column has to be in by 2 p.m.”

So, she went one way, I went another.


I worked and worked and typed and thought deeply and edited and worked and worked some more - I’m not paid nearly enough - and at 12:15 I emailed a finished masterpiece to my editor.


Then I thought, hmmmm, what to do until supper time?

In all of 15 seconds I changed from p-jays to jeans, tore the cover off my bike, turned the key and began to warm up 1100 cubic centimeters of raw power. Or something like that.


What a great day for a ride. The freedom was exhilarating the sound of the motor pulsating, the unending fields of corn and soy mesmerizing.


On my way to Pt. Bruce - I imagined myself sitting on the beach with a bottle of grapefruit juice - I stopped twice to snap photos of birdhouses I spotted.

My favourite is attached to the wall of a small house south of Aylmer.


["Small house, between Aylmer and Copenhagen": photos GH]

***

Will I copy the style?

Does a motorcycle have two wheels?

Please click here to see other birdhouses in Port Bruce, the birdhouse capital of SW Ontario.

.

No comments: