Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Live Small and Prosper Pt 2: Roller coaster vs double recession

Of the two events that would help me lose my lunch and mess up what’s left of my hair I would pick the roller coaster because I’m retired and have all day to recover, make another lunch (I can eat 12 times per day if I want - I’ve got the time, and you know that) and grease back my golden locks for another go ‘round.

A double recession is much worse.

Jobs are lost, monthly budget books are crippled and many lives change drastically.


["A double dip recession is definitely not as much fun"]

Now, I don’t bring up this troubling information to make people fearful of the future. (I’m no fear-monger, though I would like to sell you some fish).

I bring up comments and stats from a recent news article because they provide me with yet another opportunity to say the following:

Live small, reduce spending, pay down debts and save money for tough times ahead.

As well, when D. Porter, deputy chief economist with BMO says, “We are innocent bystanders who have no say in the traffic accident that has unfolded south of the border - there is little we can do about it,” I feel the urge to say that we’re not so innocent.

Ontarians have had 65 years to grow a more diverse economy.

And we’re smart people.

Wasn’t it an Ontarian (someone from Deforest City perhaps?) who first asked, “When’s the best time to plant a tree?”

(Answer: 40 years ago).

So, if we knew we should be planting trees to assist with a sustainable economy and environment, surely we knew that diversity was the backbone of a sound economy and having 80 per cent of our eggs in one basket wasn’t a good thing.

More to follow.

***

A double recession will be big trouble.

Are you saving money for tough times?

.

No comments: