Monday, August 30, 2010

In the Workshop Pt 2: What’s that in the corner?

Not only was the dust getting so deep I couldn’t see out of the shop window but I was starting to trip over piles of ‘miscellaneous lumber.’

(‘Miscellaneous lumber;’ definition - scrap that is good for something - surely to goodness - but I’m not exactly sure what at the time of rescue)

So, while vacuuming dust bunnies the size of banana boxes and before settling into a last minute-y project I carried a few armloads of scrap to The Annex. (Yes, I have a second shed. Guess what it’s filled with).


["The GH model made from 3 in. high pieces of cedar": photos GH]

But before locking The Annex door for the day I noticed a nice piece of wood over in the far corner.

I wondered, what could that be?

It turned out to be a lovely remnant from a cedar fence post. And... there was a second remnant beside the first.


["The 3 in. model requires an interior skeleton for greater stability."]

I formed a plan.

Finish the project on my bench, then start another one (much like another recent birdhouse project), but cut and sand the lumber outside so that I don’t have to vacuum again for three months.

Surprise! I stuck to the plan.

***

It’s a wonder I saw the cedar fence posts.

The Annex is stuffed to the gills with misc. lumber.

I think I see more Rietveld chairs in my future.

.

No comments: