Tuesday, September 15, 2020

A Week's Work (2)

 A Lot of Pretty Hot Weeks Have Gone By Since June 23, 2020


Heat Slowed the Comeback Kid Down to (Almost) a Crawl

Yesterday I walked 7 miles under cloudy skies. Temperature - very agreeable!!

Introduction:

Do you remember the months of June and July? Hot, muggy conditions almost every day? 

During both months I was committed to different types of runs (with hill repeats, at race pace, up tempo, longer distances on alternate Sundays) and I covered a lot of miles. In June I walked and ran 186 miles; in July I recorded 28 outings and completed 192 miles.

The high mileage and high temperatures conspired against me (and my short but sturdy legs) and by July 28 I'd decided - "You want to live a few more years, right?!" - to cut back on mileage and rethink my plans to prepare for the Hamilton 30K road race on November 22 (an event that is not guaranteed to occur, due to COVID-19). 

On July 28 I started cutting back my usual runs (7mi.) by one mile. 

July 28 - "hot, hard"
July 29 - too tired to write anything but the pace
July 30 - I biked for cold beer ("grad lounge lager")
July 31 - "hot, muggy"

During the first ten days of August I reduced my workload a good deal and generally just walked for relatively short mileage. Total mileage for the month was 168.5 miles and I maintained my running legs, just at an easier pace. On hot, muggy days, I found shadier avenues... and an occasional breeze.

It is now mid-September and I can say I am on a good course. I am walking, running at a steady pace and enjoying walk-runs, all in cooler temperatures.

More details to follow.

Yesterday, September 14, I had the paths almost to myself during a 7-mile walk.

Today I have an 8.25-mile walk-run planned (90% running)

A few more photos from along the way:

Running = prohibited activity in Pt. Bruce. Good ice cream is one block away : )



No running is allowed in the parking zone of the local pool : )



"Running in the rain. What a treat!"

The north branch of London's TVP has a good percentage of shade. That's the route I take on hot and muggy days. 



I am heading toward the water park in Gibbons Park. Cool off.





Taking a short water break in the shade. Love the shade : )

More to follow.

Please link to A Week's Work (1)

Photos GH

No comments: