Wednesday, September 16, 2020

New Running Goal, New Training Chart (3)

Me and My Big Plans Have (Almost) Gone Out the Window

My Intentions Were Excellent; The Heat was Crappy

I call this photograph (art on a T-shirt) - A Change of Plans

Introduction:

Oh, the plans I made! I had a superb running chart all set up - "It was brilliant," I say - I was following it closely, getting ready for the Around the Bay 30K in Hamilton (if they could pull it off during a pandemic!), doing my hill workouts, race pace runs, up tempo runs, long runs on Sunday... and then our fair city suffered through "The Big Stinky Heat" of July and August and I got worn out.

I cut back on mileage a bit in late July to try to stem the tide but that didn't work for long. My motivation melted during hot, muggy days.

During the first ten days of August I managed one run (6 miles), one bike ride, five walks (about 30 miles total), and three days off. My weekly mileage dropped like a stone.

That being said, though my running log looked like I was giving up any thoughts of returning to my training program, a short entry on August 10 says different. Something promising?

8.25 miles. Not bad! Better yet, "Getting more into it"

And on August 11, I completed an 8.25-mile walk/run ("Walkin' - and Runnin' - in the Rain") and felt a bit of energy still in my short legs. Note the note!

The "Canadian Comeback Continues", I say. All CAPS.
(That must mean somethin', eh!)

"I don't mind the rain!!"

And since those tough days in early August I have been getting out the door on a consistent basis and using the 8.25-mile walk/run as my bread and butter workout. The heat and humidity have not affected me as much as in July and my weekly mileage is returning to a very steady level once again.

I can honestly say I'm getting somewhere, even though my long runs lag a little behind, in my opinion. (Last Sunday - 10.75 miles; I'd like to get to 12-miles in a week or two).

Though my running routine has changed considerably (a new one is in the works), The GREAT Canadian Comeback continues.

Photos - Oh, I'm Getting Somewhere:



Walk-runs have been my bread and butter lately

But I am getting somewhere. Above is Port Bruce!

And I'm getting somewhere else! HMCS Quadra, Comox, BC

Near Barracks Beach, HMCS Quadra, Vancouver Island

North shore of Lake Erie, at Port Bruce

Watching Purple Martins in Port Bruce, Ontario

Former site of HMS Quebec, south of Inveraray Scotland

Beside the Admiral Nelson Monument, Edinburgh

Oh, I'm getting somewhere else - in Edinburgh, Scotland : )

More to follow re The GREAT Canadian Comeback.

Photos GH 

No comments: