Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Letter to the Editor: Spend your money? Save it?

I read William Jamieson’s opening line i.e., “Here’s a suggestion to help revitalize the economy: spend” and thought - spend on what? [London Free Press, Feb. 18]

Isn’t the fact we spend too much on big houses, big cars, endless kinds of stuff, carry too much debt etc., a big reason why we’re in a recession-depression-delusion in the first place?


[“I hide mine under the mattress!”: photo link]

Jamieson tried to clarify by saying, “If all of the 84 per cent of Canadians with job security did this i.e. didn’t spend in a willy-nilly, excessive or frivolous way but spent as if the economy were stable, and gave up the so-called bunker mentality, then stores would remain open, jobs would be saved and new jobs would gradually develop.”

I think William is as wrong as cold rain down the back of the neck.

North Americans have enjoyed 50 - 65 years of unprecedented optimism, good times and material wealth on the back of cheap oil, easy credit and business-as-usual mind set.

Spending, shopping for the sake of shopping, prolongs the inevitable - another recession, and worse.

It’s time to reduce just about every facet of our unsustainable lifestyle and conserve resources for the future.

Because 5 out of every 10 stores (more?) sell products we want, have grown accustomed to, but don’t really need many should simply disappear.

What will people do for jobs?

Something more useful, I hope.

***

Farming? Building energy-efficient cars and 800 sq. ft. houses?

You name it. What will it be?

.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Isn’t the fact we spend too much on big houses, big cars, endless kinds of stuff, carry too much debt etc., a big reason why we’re in a recession-depression-delusion in the first place?"

Thank you!

I agree. I don't understand why so-called experts on the radio keep banging on about how we have to spend our way out of this. I guess they're experts because they know stuff, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Even more worrying, the experts up there in governments around the world keep saying it too.

I want to take my money out of investments and put it under that mattress in your photo until a nice property with land and a shop comes up for sale, then we'll buy it and grow veg. My husband will build things and fix things. We'll teach our children how to grow things and cook things and fix things too.

How do I persuade my husband to get our money back though .....?

twinkelydots said...

As a small business owner I want you to spend your money. I'm not going to get a stimulus package to support me.

You are my stimulus package.

As a person I need to save my money.

Husband & I decided to not eat out.

So here's the cycle:

We don't eat out:
Owner doesn't get my $$
Waitress doesn't get my tip to share with chef, busboy and other wait staff
Who in turn
Won't come in my store to spend money because they've not gotten extra money to spend.

Because the owner doesn't get my $$:
Overhead expenses can't get paid
Suppliers can't get paid
Food goes to waste

Because Suppliers can't get paid:
Farmer doesn't get paid

Because Farmer doesn't get paid:
No extra spending

No shopping in my store.

Anonymous said...

I guess it depends on the type of business then.

G. Harrison said...

Twinkelydots makes a good point with her cycle of spending, i.e. some people will get hurt.

However, I think the farmers may come out 'not too bad' for a couple of reasons.

We all have to eat and though some restaurants may feel the pinch (McDonalds sales are up) new lines of communication may open between urban and nearby rural dwellers.

Michael Pollan, in Omnivore's Dilemma, illustrates the high value in good relationships with farmers. The smart ones will always do well. The shift toward smarter, healthier food production will take place and a recession may speed the process up.

How we get our food needs to undergo some changes, from deals with mega-agri-business (fossil fuel reliant in a big way) to smaller, more sustainable units.

That some restaurants close is a certainty. Always have, always will. That we have so many is related to 50 - 65 years of prosperity thanks to cheap oil, easy credit, and our desire for convenience after a hard day's work. Natural supply and demand.

Will we see workers shift from food service to other areas during a recession? We'll wait and see.

Cheers,

GAH