Sunday, March 14, 2010

Rest in Peace: Harrison, Richard Sidney, in his 79th year

My uncle’s obituary read, in part, as follows:

Peacefully, surrounded by his family, at the VON Sakura House, Woodstock on Wednesday March 10, 2010, Richard “Dick” Harrison of Norwich... predeceased by 3 brothers and 3 sisters.

My father, Dick’s next older brother, once said to me, “He can do anything he sets his mind to.”

Uncle Dick proved it several times over.

A few years ago he showed me his workshop because I wanted to see the progress he had made restoring a vintage Thunderbird he had purchased in Pennsylvania and delivered home - mostly in large wicker baskets on the back of a flatbed.


["One of Uncle Dick's bent wood rockers sits on my porch": photo GAH]

I was impressed with the finished product but was more impressed with rocking chairs he made from oak slats and branches from dogwood trees.

“How do you bend the branches?” I asked.

“After steaming the branches I put them into these jigs I built,” he said.

In my mind, the jigs were pieces of pure folk art that should hang in a museum.

But he wasn’t finished impressing me.

“Where did you get the steamer?” I asked.

“I built it right here,” he said matter-of-factly.

I walked away knowing my dad was right about his younger brother.

Today I paid my last respects and at the foot of Uncle Dick’s coffin was a bent wood rocking chair he made for one of his grandchildren.

The scene reminded me the last of one branch from the Harrison tree is now gone, but many new branches are growing where 4 sturdy lads and 3 lovely ladies once stood.


["Ollie, one day I'll teach you to make a decent chair."]

.

2 comments:

Crazylegs said...

My condolences to your family, Gord. The World is a poorer place for losing any fellow who could build his own jigs for anything.

G. Harrison said...

Thanks CL,

I heartily agree. I may summon up the courage to ask for one.

GH