Monday, March 15, 2010

Searching For a Fine Glass of Beer: Bucanero Fuerte

Last weekend’s choice of beer, Guinness Draught, was purchased by my wife. Lovely. She received no complaints from me.

This week’s choice was purchased by a friend who returned from a vacation in Cuba with two cans of beer in his luggage.

The subsequent chat we had about his trip only improved when he handed a brown bag containing the surprise - both cans were for me.

Bucanero Fuerte is brewed in Holguin, one of the largest towns in Cuba, and close to the spot where Columbus first landed in 1492.


Had he been handed a can of this light lager after stepping from his ship he would likely have found it quite refreshing.

I know I did.

Though it has a mild nose it is pleasant nonetheless. With a manly name like Bucanero I was expecting more but wasn’t disappointed.


["This Bucanero only looks Fuerte": photos by GAH]

(After all, with a name like Fuerte but only 5.4% alc. by volume I knew that it wasn’t going to be as strong as many other beers I have tasted).

The flavors on my tongue were very mild as well, but the beer receives no complaint from me. (I admit, it's not polite to look a gift-horse in the mouth, and I like highly flavourful lagers and ales, but this light one is nice).

About another of Bucanero brewery’s other offerings, David Kenning writes:

Bucaneros specializes in easy-drinking lagers... Mayabe Calidad Extra has a light, uncomplicated, slightly sweet, grainy flavour. (From ‘Beers of the World’)

Then he adds:

Another stronger version is called Fuerte.

After enjoying several sips from the glass the word ‘mildly’ came to mind. How surprising, eh?


The beer is mildly hoppy, mildly flavourful, mildly crispy and more than mildly satisfying, without one offensive note.

Would I buy it if it was available in Canada?

I’d say yes, even though I love my ruby-red ales and dark, thick stouts.

Why, I can see myself enjoying two in a row on my back deck this summer - after my friend returns from his next vacation in Cuba.

***

Do you a beer you’re willing to recommend?

Please click here to read my last beer review - Guinness Draught, or visit my growing list of beer reviews (Searching For a Fine Beer) in the right hand margin.

.

No comments: