Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Workshop: Batman and Robin will be pleased

A super hero I’m not (Flash Gordon? No, that’s not me), though Batman will like the bat houses that can be made from barn board.


I’ve learned that two good-sized bat houses can be made from one 8-ft. piece of wood, and a band saw is perfect for cutting bats out 1/2 inch thick cedar.


[Link to bat image for tracing.]

Robins will like - next spring - how easy a bird feeder comes together from just a few pieces of wood.


[“Only two pieces for the roof not showing”: Photos GH]

As well, ten bits of scrap are all a frugal bird house builder needs to make a rustic cube-shaped house suitable for chickadees or sparrows.


Anyone who enjoys rescuing lumber from the scrap heap will know the pleasure of banging together six pieces of old wood (in my case, barn board from Dorchester landfill site) to get a simple, rustic house together for a family of birds.


These two (above) require the addition of much trim and a wash of blue paint. Oh, and I need to add Coke machines, side windows and tin signage.

So, I guess my afternoon is planned, eh. Super!

***

Please click here for another peek at The Workshop.

.

No comments: