Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Workshop: “I use more than rescued lumber now”

It’s time to fess up.

Though I made birdhouses exclusively from rescued lumber for 5 - 6 years, my run came to an end a couple of months ago when I purchased small number of new fence boards.

My ‘rescued lumber’ pile ran low during a busy time, the curbs and cupboards were bare and I came up empty on leads for useful scraps. So... off to Home Depot I did go.


Admittedly, I certainly like the cedar birdhouses I can make from new fence boards, and so do several satisfied customers.


As well, bat houses from fresh cut barn board can be assembled as if in a flash. Because the lumber is so clean, I spend a lot less time cutting and sanding.


["A recent GH model made from leftover and rescued bits and pieces": photos GH]

However, I still derive a lot of pleasure from making sturdy houses - all shapes and sizes - out of leftover or rescued odds and ends.

Many buyers like ‘rescued lumber’ birdhouses as well because, not only is the lumber saved from rotting in a landfill site, but their cost is often lower as well.

So. I’m betwixt and between, so to speak, until my ship - loaded with old boards - comes in.

***

Please click here for a look at a bathouse from The Workshop.

.

No comments: