Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Workshop: “How many have you made?”


I handed two birdhouses to Grace, another regular at the Red Roaster, and after receiving a fitting response to my claims about how brilliant they were (i.e., “My goodness. You do go on about them!”) I heard another person say, “How many have you made so far?”

I wish I knew. Hundreds, but not thousands, is a safe answer for the time being.


Two years ago, however, I met a man in Burgessville (he lives in my childhood home, just off Highway 59) who numbers each one he makes, and at the time, he was up to 2,900 plus. I tip my hat to his industriousness.

I noticed at the time his yard was full of birdhouses. Brilliant. He sells them at the end of his drive for “donations toward supplies.” Brilliant. He rescues his lumber (scrap plywood) from a local chair maker. Again, brilliant.


All that being said, he doesn’t add wood or tin signage, Coca-Cola machines, wee screw drivers or wrenches, or a wash of paint. In other words, his creations aren’t as fussy or, dare I say, brilliant as mine.

Wait. Did I say that out loud?


Sorry, I do go on sometimes.

[Photos by G.Harrison]

***

Please click here for another trip to The Workshop.

.

No comments: