Sunday, December 27, 2020

"1000 Maybe 2000 Fish" Still a Story

Gizzard Shad Love Thames River (North of Blackfriars)

New Shad May be Attached to "Old" Carling Creek



Introduction:

The shad survive.

I have photos of a vast school or swarm of gizzard shad (perhaps related to American Gizzard Shad, a popular bait fish; see Wikipedia) going back one month at least, to late November of this year.

I walk regularly from my house to the University of Western Ontario - for the sake of fun, fotos and fitness - and pass by a viewing platform of sorts on the Thames Valley Parkway (TVP, north of Blackfriars Bridge), from which I can see "1000 Maybe 2000 Fish" and take countless photographs.

The shad not only seem to remain very healthy but continuously prompt short - lengthy conversations and observations amongst total strangers, all pedestrians upon the very popular pathway. Fairly common natural forces are at work but on a scale and in a location that many people have never seen. "I've never seen anything like this" is currently a very common phrase I hear during my walks and stops for more photos.

A friend in Old South London informed me by phone recently that the location the fish seem to be inhabiting may be a part of what once was known as Carling Creek, named after the former (long gone) Carling Brewery. I believe Mill Street is nearby, named after a mill from long ago as well. Mills and breweries go together at times, do they not? Whatever the case, the shad have sparked peoples' interests in many ways. 

And are they tasty? Could we eat them like smelt? "Not good for anything but bait," I've heard.

More Photos and Videos From Along the Way (up to Dec. 25):


The walkway or pathway on the opposite side of the Thames River
offers a fine vantage point for photos of the mouth of carling Creek



On Christmas Day "the shadow of the shad" is visible at the mouth
of a creek, formerly known as Carling Creek.

On Christmas Day I shot "the shadow of the shad" just south of
Blackfriars Bridge, on the west side of the Mighty Thames









Blackfriars Bridge is 200 metres (approx.) south of the shad swarm









The Shadow of the Shad, Carling Creek. December 2020

I will show videos of the shad shortly.

Please link to A "1000 Maybe 2000 Fish" Story from December 2020 for more details re the gizzard shad.

Photos GH

No comments: