Monday, July 28, 2008

My Point of View: I have a few questions for Mr. Dion about CO2 numbers

I hope Liberal leader Stephane Dion not only continues his town hall meetings in Ontario as part of his effort to explain the necessity of a carbon tax and the fundamentals of his Green Shift program but makes it as far as my front porch.

And he might make it here to London - if he continues far enough west on the 401 after he’s finished answering questions in Belleville.

Though I agree when he warns “greenhouse gas emissions are threatening our relationship with the planet” I wonder if he and I agree with certain numbers.


For example, in a recent column I said CO2 emissions are not at the point of no return “unless industrialized countries such as Canada are unwilling to make unprecedented reductions in the burning of fossil fuels and stabilize carbon in the atmosphere at 350 parts per million, a point we’ve passed and are leaving in our wake.”

Is 350 a healthy goal?

Should we cut deeper?

.

No comments: