Thursday, April 9, 2009

Dear Ann Landers: Lunch out is not an ‘in’ thing


Dear Ann Landers,

My wife just called from my son’s house (she’s babysitting our grandson) and invited me out for lunch with Ollie and her mother.

Now, I don’t like restaurant meals all that much because of the cost and high calories. I’d rather putter around the kitchen and eat leftovers.

Plus, we went out for lunch together during our last Sunday drive and we’re going out for a big family supper tomorrow night.

Am I turning into an old scrooge? What should I do?

Signed: Perplexed

***

Dear Perplexed,

I hear your pain - but don’t feel it.

Go on, get out of the house. Order a salad.

Say ‘Hi’ to your lovely wife, Ollie and Betty for me.

Ann Landers

***

GAH: "I’m outta here. Maybe my wife will pay."

.

2 comments:

Sonny Drysdale said...

Gord - enjoyed your column about chicken coops.

Every neighbourhood needs a rooster.

So I say go for it. If by-laws are a problem, well, screw City Hall and the camels they flew in on.

Just like deer, it'll be years before anyone gets around to doing anything about it.

... as for restaurants - these are things we have to do for the ladies.

But only once a year. And for Pete's sake, if you have to go, make it some place where you can get a good steak.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Sonny,

Thanks for dropping by.

I heard recently that Waterloo is putting a stop to coops, but London is still a free range. Pullets are for sale at the farmer's market, Dundas east.

Convincing my wife is the biggest issue. She often reminds me that two people live in our house and want to use the backyard. I paid for lunch to help grease the skid.

Cheers,

GAH