Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I’m Calling It, Canada: Fall federal election in 2009

You heard it here first - PM Harper will call for a fall election.

And how do I know? (A political pundit or hack I’m not. I don’t even know what a pundit is. I’d guess a small, tippy, leaky boat.)


Two reasons: I’m somewhat informed by news and events and... I trust my gut.

Here’s the news and gut feelings I rely upon:

Liberal leader Ignatieff is rising in the polls

PM Harper is sinking

Ignatieff is smarter and better looking than Harper

PM Harper will be fully aware of this by July


Tomatoes will be ripe in September and Harper will want to throw a big one at Ignatieff

Unity is growing inside the Liberal Party

Discontent, now red hot inside the Conservative Party, will peak in September like red hot chili peppers in my garden

Money in Liberal coffers is growing

My gut says Harper will want to burst that balloon

The recession will worsen

My gut says Harper will want to blame someone else, and soon

Ontario and Quebec is turning against Harper

This is just my gut talking again, but Harper will want to blame someone else for that too

And finally, Harper will call an election in the fall because that's when the pumpkins are ready... and he's almost out of ammo.

***

I think as far as Harper is concerned, “small, tippy, leaky boat” is spot on.

.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Blimey. Another election? Didn't we just have one? How much do they cost again? How can a country build up any kind of continuity with upheavel every couple of years? How many questions can I ask before I need to breathe again?

I'd better get cracking with my citizenship application. Then I could vote this time.

G. Harrison said...

The election will be the third one in four years, federally, I think.

Cost is 33 or 330 million, give or take a few bob. Harper will think it's a small price to pay to get his feet out of the fire and try for his first majority. (He won't get it, then he'll be gone).

Cheers,

GAH

Theresa said...

Your logic sounds reasonable to me! My only fear is that something will happen to scare people into giving Harper a majority, and that will be a bad thing indeed.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Theresa,

PM Harper won't get the majority. I just came back from the university where Michael Ignatieff was speaking. He has a good mind, grasp of the bigger picture and will do very well in debates.

I'll check to see if my photos turned out.

Cheers,

GAH

Theresa said...

I feel a bit better after hearing that Gord, thanks. The Alberta government's arrogance and entitlement expectations are already too much to stomach -- I don't know if my disposition could handle a federal neo-con majority as well.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Theresa,

I'm sure it would surprise us to know how few Canadians can stomach a neo-con government.

I bet it's less than 15 - 20 per cent. Likely lower.

PM Harper, with tomatoes, will miss the mark in September.

Cheers,

GAH