Wednesday, April 22, 2009

It Strikes Me Funny: I get nailed for typing too fast

... And thinking too slow.

In today’s The Londoner a reader complained about my fact checking ability.

He was spot on.

Henry R. wrote: “Harrison asserts a recession in the early 1990’s, coupled with provincial Conservative government policy related to welfare benefits resulted in an increase in monthly food bank clients from 1991 - 93.”

(The Conservatives didn’t govern until 1995).

Then he asks: “Was this simply an honest mistake on Mr. Harrison’s part? Or was he trying to slag the Conservatives in general, perhaps out of general revulsion for their views?”

Yes, and partly.

I was trying to slag the Conservatives, but not out of revulsion. I disagreed with their policies.

And I should have written: “A recession in the early 1990’s resulted in a steep increase in monthly food bank clients, and provincial Conservative welfare policy of the late 1990’s kept them there.”

Good catch, Henry.

Readers keep me on my toes, as it should be.

***

Coincidentally, Henry and I both like the word ‘slag.’ I used it earlier in the week.

Also, if you catch a mistake, let me know.

.

2 comments:

Michel said...

I am actually amazed by two things in this post:

(1) people take the time to write in on this (or frankly, that they actually KNOW that stuff); and

(2) Slag was used in a fact checking content.

I learn new things about foreigners every day.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Michel,

People know their facts, figures and details and love to let me know. At least the guy used 'slag' correctly.

For my first two years as columnist a grammar-checker regularly commented on my style. But because Elmore Leonard says to write like you talk I persisted and won that battle.

Tom Miller, an American writer from Tuscon calls my style 'first person suave' - whatever that is.

Keep well in Sudan.

GAH