Friday, April 17, 2009

It Strikes Me Funny: BBQ season arrives, Lindsay Lohan cracks wise, and now this?

It strikes me funny that on the first full day of summer around here (sure, it’s April, but yesterday it felt like summer to me), the same day I check the BBQ to see if it still works after spending 6 months under a tarp, I catch wind that “those who eat more red meat have a modestly increased risk of death from all causes, cancer or heart disease” (according to a recent study by the US National Cancer Institute.

It’s funny, I tell you... maybe a conspiracy.

So, rather than put a small peppercorn steak and tray of veggies under the hood and sit in a lawn chair on the back deck to reread a very funny and entertaining article about the train wreck known as Lindsay Lohan, I popped a veggie lasagna into the oven and made a salad.

(The article begins like this, re Lindsay and girlfriend Samantha: “We are taking a brief break so I can focus on myself.” As if spending quality time with herself will improve her resume.)


Quality time with a salad will help my diet. I’m in the middle of the age group the study studied. And during the study twice as many men (that’s me) died as women. And red meat was involved in the crime.

Now I'm wondering... who put the results of the study on my desk?

***

Once my solar oven is finished, maybe I’ll be heating up veggie lasagnas rather than seconds and thirds of my Scorch and Burn (beef and pork) chili.

.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"twice as many men (that’s me) died as women."

So they switched genders just before they died, after eating too much red meat, right? (tee hee) ;)

Sorry, that just jumped out at me!

G. Harrison said...

Hi Jane,

You might have hit upon something there! Today is very summery, time to get the bike out of storage. Have a great day.

GAH