Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Live Small and Prosper: We live like kings and queens

“North Americans,
driven by an ethos and expectation
of increasing affluence,
are wealthier than citizens
anywhere else.”


(Time to Rethink American Dream, Mindelle Jacobs)

Yesterday, while assembling and staining four ‘old schoolhouse’ bird boxes in the shed, a task that doesn’t always require my full attention, I thought about the above newspaper article.


["Retired teacher goes back to school": photo GAH]

Though I wouldn’t say Americans are the only people who need to rethink their dream (the challenges related to vast wealth generated by over-reliance on fossil fuels is a widespread problem) I freely admit I live the good life - a concept the current recession is helping us redefine.

In fact, compared to most people in the world, I live like a king.

Most of my basic needs related to food, clothing, shelter, transportation, recreation and communication are met daily with little effort or concern.

My most important needs related to love, acceptance, family, security and peace of mind and heart are met as well, more fully than a short post could ever explain.

I can work at my computer or inside a 9 by 19 ft. workshop, with a view of a garden, tall blue spruce and wee backyard, in comfort and some style (old jeans, ratty-shirt, ball cap - golden!).

I often feel like a king in a little domain of my own making.

But... if the recession strips North America of some of its wealth and redistributes it more equitably throughout the world, I won’t stand in the way.

In fact, I’ll support that type of recession where I can.

***

How does a person support a recession, or walk on the upside of down?

Good question. I’ll think about it.

.

No comments: