Monday, April 20, 2009

Live Small and Prosper: Lessons to be learned from the recession

“There are lessons to be learned
from the economic crisis.

Perhaps the most significant
is that this troubled era

will force us to reconsider
how we define the good life.”

(Time to Rethink American Dream, Mindelle Jacobs)


What lessons have you learned from the present recession?

It is a very important question because, in my opinion, it will surely not be the last we experience together. I’m convinced leaders and citizens will repeat the mistakes that lead to the current crisis (AKA The Big Blunder, Our Giant Goof-up, Almost a Depression).

One might say in depressed tones, I’ve learned I’m over-extended. I’m in debt way over my head. I’m in deep trouble.

Others might say, I can’t buy as much as I used to, but somehow that’s OK. We stopped eating out as much, and cut cable TV to save money, and now we’re having more fun at home with the kids.

And I’m certain there’s a family out there that even dusted off an old Scrabble game and discovered the kids are pretty darn good at it.

Whatever the lesson, I think Mindelle Jacobs is right.

The most significant lesson is... we’ve been forced to think about or rethink our lifestyle, our goals related to spending, our main pursuits (whether it be a dream job, dream house, retirement 55, etc.), what is good, right and meaningful to us.

There’s no question in my mind. We have to get better at thinking, about how we spend or use our lives.

I’ll be in my workshop. It’s time to think - without so many distractions.

***

Do you take time to think about main pursuits, what is good, right, meaningful?

.

2 comments:

JobSearchNinja said...

"Success is almost totally dependent upon drive and persistence. The extra energy required to make another effort or try another approach is the secret of winning."

G. Harrison said...

Thanks for your visit JS Ninja.

Perhaps in N. America we need to put more drive and persistence into the pursuit of living small.

GAH