Saturday, January 16, 2010

Live Small and Prosper: Cost of living too high?

Bills piling up? Cost of rent or your mortgage too high?

I have some advice - don't move to New York City.

This just in:

Cost of a three-bedroom apt. in Manhattan - $4,300 per month.

Yousa. I'd have to have three rich boarders to help me survive. Plus, I'd be sleeping on the couch - if I could afford a couch.

But there's more news out of NYC, and it's worse.

"A townhouse, dubbed NYC's skinniest home, has sold for $2.1 million US. The three-by-12-metre long building was built in 1873 on land used as an alley between homes." (Jan. 15, London Free Press)

Yousax2. That's over $5,000 US per sq. ft.

In Canadian terms, that's over $5,000 for the space required to store your winter boots.

Forget owning slippers, pal!

I think I'll stay in my small house (approx. 1,000 sq. ft.) in Deforest City and never complain about knob and tube wiring and having only one bathroom again.

.

No comments: