Friday, February 26, 2010

From the Workshop: Slow days, time to think

Finished projects piled up in the workshop in December and January, and a few still need a coat of double boiled linseed oil before bringing them indoors for storage.

While applying oil and stain recently I was struck by the difference between what I want in life and what I really need.


["Oh, it's drying time again... and it's cold out": photos GAH]

For example, the thought of a bigger workspace often comes to mind, so that I could have a wood-burning stove, a proper dust-collection and ventilation system, more tools, etc.


["Linseed oil is lovely, but it smells up the shop"]

But I get 99.99% satisfaction out of my small shop (18.5 ft. by 8.5 ft.) the way it is, and if I adjusted my schedule somewhat (cut wood or apply stain outside from spring to fall, work on the lathe or other easy jobs in the winter) I likely wouldn’t think about the shop’s size at all.

Most of its charm comes from the fact it’s less than 170 sq. ft. in size and I get so much done in that amount of space.


["Don't stain indoors? Leave it 'til spring?"]

Why, really, I could live out there.

(And I think my wife would be happy about that 99.99% of the time).

I won’t live out there, however, and I think once I make a small increase in size to the outdoor work-deck (just outside the door of the shop), I’ll be as happy as peaches.

***

Do you ever get caught between thoughts about what you want and what you really need?

.

No comments: