Saturday, February 27, 2010

My Point of View: Is Wortley Village the right place for luxury condos? Part 5

[The following continues a series of thoughts about the development process as it pertains to an empty lot at the corner of Wortley Rd. and Bruce St. in Old South, London]

'Is Wortley Village the right place for luxury condos?’

I say no, not as a current proposal stands at present.

First, each of the four variances developer David Tennant Jr. (Hampton Group) requested very clearly indicate the proposed building is too big for the lot.

Second, the Feb. 17 meeting at City Hall, organized to collect input from the community, was chiefly about design objectives (mostly insignificant) for the building, and not about something far more important to the members of the community that had assembled there.

Third, not only does the proposed four-story building not identify with Wortley Village, but the builder clearly does not as well.

Earlier, I suggested that the developer’s desire to “push to build beyond every conceivable limit says something about his experience as well, as it pertains to building and dealing with well-established neighbourhoods.”

I said at that time that “foremost in Tennant’s mind is likely the following credo: Bigger is better.”

I also said, that to see “the city and developer... shake hands on such a proposal tells me they haven’t spent much time, if any, in Old South, and that other things occupy their minds.”

May I further suggest here that the developer has a stronger desire to fit more money into his bank account than design a building that fits into the community.


["It pays to be aggressive." "And have a good lawyer."]

Why do I think this way?

At the Feb. 7 meeting, when asked by members of community if he would consider reducing the building to three stories, Tennant Jr. flatly said no.

“It’s going to be four stories,” he said on more than one occasion.

A concept more suited to the community was not on his table, and in my humble opinion, it is because larger dollar signs (upwards of $400,000 to $500,000 per unit, 8 units per story) were on his mind when he created a proposal that pushed past the city bylaw for a building’s height in the heart of Wortley Village.

If Tennant Jr. says in the future that he identifies with the community, I will say he does not.

When members of the community requested information about the appeal process Tennant Jr. stated he hoped someone in fact would appeal the process because he felt more than confident of the outcome.

Can he afford the best lawyers? Of course he can.

Can members of the community? Not very likely.

If Tennant Jr. says in the future that he likes Wortley Village, I will say he does not, except as a place to build.

Some will say that making more money is a worthy goal, and to some degree that is true.

I’m even willing to admit that though it doesn’t make my world go round it makes life’s journey a bit more interesting if I have more in my wallet than to simply supply my most basic needs..

However, in the case of the proposed larger than life building plan, I think the city has made it too easy for the developer to make a mitt full of money at the expense of the Wortley Village community.

I feel it’s almost as if, during the process, City Hall had more the mind of a builder or developer than an advocate for the city as a whole, and because of that, I am left with a few questions.

First...

***

Please click here to read Part 6, Conclusion.

.

No comments: