Sunday, February 14, 2010

Newspaper Clippings: Maybe I have a touch of cabin fever

The photo in our local paper wasn’t even in colour, but I knew it was of cherry tomatoes.


[QMI Agency file photo - now it's in colour]

And I really like cherry tomatoes, so I stopped and read the brief article entitled ‘Don’t need much land to get garden growing’ in yesterday’s London Free Press.

It began:

You don't need hectares of land to grow your own vegetables or flowers - in fact, for some crops, you don't need any at all.

Balconies are great for planters. Given enough light and water, tomatoes grow well in large tubs. Herbs make great container plants. Extra-large pots can produce beets, carrots and peppers.



["I have good luck w peppers": photo by GAH]

I like winter weather, I’d like more of the same until the end of March, but maybe I have a wee touch of fever... I forget what kind for the moment.


["Cedar boxes for cherry tomatoes - easy schmeasy": photo GAH]

I’ll draw up a plan to turn out two containers for the back deck that resemble the box I recently made for a fellow hockey player. Line it with tin and presto, cherry tomatoes outside my back door.

Hmmm... cabin fever. Yeah, maybe that’s it.

***

Articles about gardening get the juices flowing, eh?

Please click here for another brilliant newspaper clipping response.

.

No comments: