Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Smart Meters are Coming. The Smart Meters are Coming. Pt 2

London Hydro installed a smart meter at the side of my house a few days ago and left a small booklet for me to read.

[Please read Part 1 for context].

I’m glad they did because I had questions.

For example, when would my hydro bill be affected by changes to rates?

I scoured the 12 page booklet to find out. Nothing.

However, on page 12 two websites were listed for those who, like me, wanted more information, and at www.londonhydro.com I learned that I’ll be billed the same as in the past until April 30, 2010.


In other words, I’ve got less than 3 months to get my act in gear, get with the culture of conservation that I fully support and practice, for example, doing my dirty laundry when the rates are cheapest.

But before I read through the booklet again to see what the new rates would be and when, I came across a line just inside the front cover that made most positive feelings about the conservation culture disappear.

I read the following:

Smart meters - a new way to think about electricity.

(Good idea, I thought. I have no problems with new ways of thinking. I recall fondly the day I switched from bob skates to my first leather pair. My life changed. Sorry, I digress).


["Hey, I still have a pair - not for sale!": photo GAH]

(And) by 2010, every home and small business in Ontario in Ontario will have a smart meter.

Now, that line caused a red light to go off inside my little round head and something to get stuck in my craw.

Did you catch it?

Every home will get a smart meter.

That sounds fair. If I get one and then pay higher rates to wash my socks at an inappropriate time then so should the guy down the street.

And every small business will get one.

But... (insert red light here) what the heck about the bigger hydro users, whoever and whatever they may be?


["What about the biggest users of all?"]

And... (insert sharp object in craw here) what about the biggest hydro users of all, the biggest businesses and industries that use more than half the hydro in Ontario and churn out more carbon emissions than all home owners put together?

Stink, I said. Surely it’s a misprint.

I mean, any government that wants to introduce a culture of conservation and try to reduce our dependence on fossil fueled energy production (think: coal furnaces by the score) has to go after the biggest users. Right?

I scoured the book again for information about responsibilities placed on big businesses and the biggest users.

Please click here to read Part 3.

***

Sometimes, it’s not so much what booklets say but what they don’t say.

Are you happy about your smart meter?

.

8 comments:

Lost Motorcyclist said...

In the small town where I grew up, if the paper mill started up all the machines at the same time, the town would probably have blacked out.

Depending on the power requirements of a big user, I think the electrical usage might already be monitored every minute of the day.

Now, whether the rates are fair or not, is another matter.

G. Harrison said...

LM,

You're not from Abitibi territory are you? E.g., Iroquois Falls, Ansonville?

I wonder about the fairness too, now that I'm about to pay more for conservation's sake.

GAH

Lost Motorcyclist said...

I'm from Baie Comeau, Quebec. On the St Lawrence at the same latitude as Timmins. (49th parallel). The paper mill is now an Abitibi Bowater mill, but I guess that's not the same as being in the Abitibi area.

I think it's pretty obvious from the hydro company deficit, that they are not charging high enough rates for electricity. Maybe electricity everywhere is being subsidized.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

In Ontario, medium and large use customers already pay Time-of-Use rates. In fact, they pay hourly spot market prices that can be very volitile. Residential and small commercial will pay in three TOU tiers (Peak, Mid-Peak and Off-Peak). http://www.ieso.ca/imoweb/siteshared/demand_price.asp?sid=bi

G. Harrison said...

Hi LM,

I was introduced to an Abitibi mill in Iroquois Falls, near Timmins, in the mid-60s. When you mentioned 'small town' and 'paper mill' I wondered... could it be the same? Had it been I would have continued with more questions, e.g., did you know this family, this girl who was a penpal, etc. Small world, sometimes.

Looks like, from your response and another from Anonymous, big users are monitored closely. Now, can I find out about the rates for the sake of fairness?

GAH

G. Harrison said...

Hi Anonymous,

Thank you for your comment and link to the IESO site.

The site is linked to more information that I'm sure will be helpful to me.

Average wholesale prices fluctuate but appear smaller than projected TOU residential and small business rates.

Will big businesses still pay less than 4 cents per kwh in May while I'm paying 8 - 9 cents per?

It will be interesting to see further developments.

GAH

Betwixt Baubles (aka Iris) said...

Ooooh, so that was the comment that caught you. I would agree totally and am glad to see that the big guys are in the noose too!
How are you liking the snow today?

G. Harrison said...

Hi Iris,

I just finished posting part 3 re smart meters (and they are smart!) and earlier one about my feelings toward the snow. In one word - awesome.

Cheers,

GAH