Saturday, February 6, 2010

There’s Always Something: “You’re wall hanging is keeping me awake”

Two things happened last night I wasn’t expecting.

First, when I crawled into our 100-year old bed my weight caused a slat to shift and the mattress and bed irons fell to the floor.

What a noise. What a job fixing it while my wife, who had been sound asleep, stood next to me and kept repeating, “Why did you do that?”

Then, shortly after we crawled back into bed my wife turned and said, “Your wall hanging is keeping me awake.”

Sounds confusing, but I knew exactly what she meant.

The wall hanging (entitled “A Piece of Wood”), suspended from the ceiling of the front porch by two chains, was moving in the wind and thumping against the outer wall and we could hear the noise very clearly because we were trying to sleep on the other side of that wall.


[First, I stabilize "A Piece of Wood": photos GAH]

So, I began to think.

Should I try to fix the problem? How would I fix it? I’d have to take it down.

It’s darn heavy. It’s a two person job. It’s winter.

How strong is the wind? Will it bang all night? Can I fall asleep between thumps?

Should I respond to my wife’s comment?

I decided to try to fall asleep.

One hour later, after thinking of six different ways to solve the problem, I succeeded.


["Second, I pick that bottle off my lawn"]

There’s always something, eh?

***

Did you have a good sleep last night?

Good for you.

.

3 comments:

Lost Motorcyclist said...

This is a trick, right? Those two pictures are exactly the same.

G. Harrison said...

Whoops! I goofed.

GAH

G. Harrison said...

Hi Robert,

I should have said, "There's always something, eh?"

And thanks for the heads up!

GAH