Friday, February 26, 2010

Zoom w a View: Hope the price of seed doesn’t go north

When I hung two feeders on our clotheslines this year it was only a matter of days before the neighbourhood birds located them.

Squirrels too for that matter. That’s why, when we have good packing snow, I pat together about two dozen snowballs and store them outside the back door so I can chuck 1 or 2 at a second’s notice.

(Oh, I’ve come close to knocking those furry critters right off the back fence rail. If the Jays ever need a right-hander...).


["My turn." "No, my turn!": photos GAH]

Though some birds can be aggressive to one another and others fly off whenever I peek out the side window, most seem to stay long enough to nab a few seeds and make a mess by chucking what they don’t like onto the ground.


["I'll just wait up on the roof"]


["And we'll take care of the mess"]

Yes, I know, I’m retired and it doesn’t take much to amuse me, but by careful observation I’ve learned a few things from birds that I can apply in my day to day life.

E.g., There are enough muffins at The Red Roaster coffee shop for everyone, so I don’t have to butt in line when I enter.

Not that I ever would...

.

No comments: